Some reflections on the year:
1. Market all you want, this does not necessarily translate to book sales.
2. I have amazing friends from around the world.
3. I am so glad to not be living in Qatar at the end of this year.
4. I am lucky to travel so much.
5. Losing a pet before their time is a painful experience I would not wish on anyone.
6. Even if it’s 110F, you can still have a good time. Elvis helps.
7. Diet and exercise work. (So does having a work out buddy or buddies).
8. I forgot how much I missed salsa dancing. Hoping to find a new place to go out in Abu Dhabi!
And what do I have planned for 2014?
For the first time in a very long time, I have no specific publishing goals. Yes, I have two books that could be published, but I don’t think they are particularly close to ready. If and when I get motivation to move forward with them, I will. If not, I’m not going to push things. I will, however, complete a book that’s 1/3 done.
I’m looking forward to furthering my career in higher education. Yes, I love writing. However, it becomes painfully clear that this is not where I’ll be able to ‘work.’ I’ll always write and will continue to publish, but I’m trying to let go of becoming financially successful in this arena.
Also, on the travel front, I’ve booked in for Tokyo and am hoping this is the year the Seychelles happen!
From my little temporary dorm room, that’s it from me – what are your big lessons from 2013?