This time next week I will STILL be on a plane – from a flight that started at (inshall’ah) 9:00AM local UAE time. That flight is AUH (Abu Dhabi) to LAX (Los Angeles) and it is listed at 16:45. I am VERY fortunate to be flying in business class and on a great airline, Etihad.
Still, it’s A LOT of time to fill for what is essentially a day time flight – especially when the flight is almost always delayed getting off the ground (AUH hasn’t seemed to figure out the whole pre-clearance thing, even though it’s been months). Yes, some hours can be accounted for sleeping, but I’m guessing I won’t sleep much more than 3-4 hours at best. I could be wrong and get a few more, but being the planner that I am, here are the activities I’m looking at to keep me busy:
1. Reading! I have A Clockwork Heart, Karen Memory (super excited about this one) and a romance or two to have on hand. I’m also thinking of downloading The Girl on the Train. Do you have any recommendations?
2. Writing! If all goes to plan, I’ll have The Queen of England (my current WIP) in a better place to make some progress in moving towards 60K (about where I think the rough draft will finish up). I wouldn’t expect to write much, but 2K would be fantastic. Having had some luck in writing at the airport or on an airplane, I’m optimistic.
3. Watching! Some movies… Etihad isn’t nearly as good as Emirates when it comes to selection, but hopefully there will be a movie or three that looks good. I’m also considering downloading The Young Victoria to watch as research.
4. Editing! My friend and author Elena has sent me the sequel to her book. I’m hoping to help her make progress by making notes on her manuscript.
5. Eating and drinking! Hello, where there is champagne, I will be there…and asking for another glass.
I’m not sure if there will be internet on board…or if I will sign up, but who am I kidding, if the price is reasonable, I will totally go for it. And of course, I’ll be prepared as I would for a usual flight longer than an hour.
What about you, dear reader, what’s the longest flight you’ve been on? How did you pass the time? Any suggestions?