Just a few numbers to share this week:
- 47,026, words on the rough draft of the Queen 3.
- 137, pages (in case you wondered).
- Several, amount of calls that have taken place to try and replace our empty gas canister. Status of gas? Still 0%.
- AED90, amount per word I may earn for an upcoming article (that’s $25USD a word…not too shabby). Yes, I’m just as surprised as you are.
- 2, number of friends we’re going to see this evening from our early Dubai days. I’m excited!
- 1, restaurant I need to chose for lunch while I’m visiting next month. Recommendations welcome!
- 1, new book my friend just published. I’m excited for her.
Made me laugh / research for a children’s book
I’m never going to start writing.
It’s not every week we experience a penultimate day of being a certain age… Yes, that’s my complicated way of saying tomorrow is my birthday.
- 36, years and…
- 364, days. (Although last year was a leap year, so does that mean 36 got an extra day? Anyway, overall, I would call 36 a win. There was good and bad, but overall, new friends, new books, and lots of travel — I can’t ask for anything more).
- 37, age I’ll be as of Friday. (Somehow 37 sounds infinitely older than 36, I’m not quite sure why).
- 92, pages, currently of The Queen of England #3 rough draft.
- 31,626, words, meaning I’m just under the halfway mark. This is a bit concerning because I have a lot going on already and am trying to figure out how much more I can throw in the Queen’s path before the end…
- 1, trip I’ve now booked for Rome in May.
- 1, trip to the Maldives I’m hoping for in April…
- 1, trip to Manila for the Madrid Food Conference I’m also hoping for in April.
- 1, reading slump I am in. Someone save me!
- #22, restaurant in the world I am going to eat at tonight.
One of those weeks where I feel like I did everything and nothing…
23,048 number of words for The Queen of England 3: Rogue Nation (working title that I don’t particularly care for). I debated what to work on (The Queen of England #1 is more or less done, except I keep fiddling with parts of it because it doesn’t feel 100% complete, and the Queen #2’s first draft is also complete, so I kind of needed to work on something…)
- 1, number of Top 5 chefs in the world I met this week (now I just need to watch his episode of Chef’s Table).
- 1, boat show attended (well, really just the VIP section with free warm prosecco).
- 6, days in a row I’ve logged with MyFitnessPal (it was well past time to get serious about knocking off a few kgs).
- 15, days until I turn…
- 37, years of age (by the way, that sounds crazy old to me).
Off to Fujairah tomorrow while Hubs finished his next diving certificate. I’m ready for a chill, but am still epically behind on reviews from Bangkok, so I think it will be a matter of blogging from bed.
If you want to know what I’ve been up to this week, I’ve been furiously formatting. It is definitely not as fun as it sounds. So. Much. Tab. Anyway, with the first draft 99% there, I’m happy with the changes between the rough draft and this one. I know some additional changes will need to take place, but at least the manuscript is now in a place where I can confidently share it with others.
- 2, invented countries in the Queen 2.
- 72,734, words. I came in more or less exactly where I thought this draft would finish. Yay goals!
- 10, years, since my first book was published. I look back fondly at the motivation levels I had for The Line. There was literally no avenue I wouldn’t try to promote it. Although I stopped counting, between sales and giveaways, I think in its lifetime that more then 10,000 copies are out in the world. That makes me happy.
- 5, dinners I have lined up next week in Bangkok. My liver might actually die. I’m not sure yet. I’m hopeful the clothes I’m packing will be forgiving.
It’s looking positively dreary outside — I love it! Lots of good numbers this week:
- 70,414 words. The nearly final first draft of the Queen 2. I’m currently running the entire book through a grammar program, and imagine I’ll end up adding and finalizing a few scenes (which will put me closer to the 75K I thought the book would end at… 10+ manuscripts in, I’m getting pretty good at knowing this stuff).
- 221 pages, in case you wondered what that looks like.
- 13 pages, that were cut entirely (I have a Google doc for scenes I might want to come back to). I think the reality is with all cuts, edits, and scenes I probably chopped closer to 20 pages (which is 10% of the original rough draft, which also feels right).
- 1, amazing suite I got to stay in this week (Fairmont Fujairah).
- 100%, the level in which I am frustrated by the state of US politics right now.
- 20+, years, our dear cat Nubbins turned this week (her birthday is on January 31st).
- 3, number of dishes I picked out for my top meals in January.
Any good numbers for you to share?
Happy New Year!
I hope yours is off to an amazing start. I’ve managed to make a bit of progress so far. Some numbers, you ask?
- 108 pages edited out of 214 pages (for the Queen sequel).
- 67,277 words. In case you’re keeping track, I’ve added about 5,000 words from the rough draft. Given how much I’ve also cut out, things are exactly about where I thought they would be at this point…which would have the book finish directly next to Book #1 (75K exactly). Knowing I have some scenes I still need to write, it’s definitely not easy going, but it’s been great to cut things that didn’t work and add in more exciting scenes (ahem air battles ahem).
- 0 drinks I’ve had so far this year. This will go out the window tonight, as Hubs and I head out for a fancy French meal, but at least I’ve stayed true to my ‘only drink when reviewing’ plan. Let’s see how long it lasts!
- 1, visit to spin class (with another scheduled for Saturday).
- 20 episodes of Chopped I’ve seen (it’s my new obsession…but really I’m just trying to better understand how to talk about food).
- 50, meters in the sky I’ll be dining at next Monday, as part of the media launch (lunch?) for Dinner in the Sky (Dubai).
- 1, excellent concert attended. Thanks to Coldplay for a perfect intro to 2017.
- 90, minutes (at least) stood waiting and walking and trying to find a taxi post-concert. Less learned — going out on New Year’s absolutely requires advance booking for return trips (no matter where in the world you are celebrating)!
- 1, almost trip to the States that happened to protest P-E Trump’s inauguration. #notmypresident
What’s going on with you? Anything you’re looking forward to in 2017?