Guess who’s back, back again?
So, I’ve been a wee bit busy since we last checked in.
- 2nd, draft of Under the Rain of Light. In it I went from 77,727 words to 77,361. This sounds so unbelievably minor, but I changed the order of chapters, added and removed plot lines and made countless other changes.
- Spoiler alert, I still hate the book, which is why…
- I’m going to work with a developmental editor. This is a first for me, but I know it’s the right decision. I’ll be sending the book to her in the next week or two.
- ALL, the procrastination. (See, Courtney’s anxiety about submitting articles.)
- My procrastination usually presents itself in the form of cleaning/organizing, hence why I’ve deleted 1,500 photos from my iCloud.
- 0, articles submitted from our recent trip. 😦
- 1, private island visited. Hubs and I had the opportunity to stay the Four Seasons at Desroches Island (simply incredible).
- 3, private beaches we encountered during our stay.
- 1, bottle Takamaka consumed.
- 1, amazing bike ride.
- 1, new website started (I’m working on a new social experiment of sorts — announcement soon).
- 6, episodes we’ve recorded for the podcast accompanying this.
- 1, walk on the beach this morning – a great start to the weekend!
- 2 friends, we saw in the process.
- 7, kitties we saw.
- 18,781, words into the 2019 book (working title, 20 Year Reunion). It’s a bit of a late start for me, but the Heist has taken up more time than I thought it would. Ready to get back into original writing – it’s been awhile!
- 1, article I wrote May of last year that’s finally come out (don’t worry, I already received payment for it).
What have you been up to?
Hello again. Some numbers, yes?
- 1, spayed dog. Our little foster was finally cleared to be fixed and is recovering in her little wee shirt.
- 2, janky teeth pulled while she was under.
- 2, times she got out in the past week (causing near heart attacks for me- thank goodness our neighbors are amazing).
- 77,502, words. I’m back to finish up the final second draft of the Louvre. After a month hiatus, I’m straight up reading the book and cutting quite a bit (let’s not get started on some of the bigger edits that still might need to occur.
- 18,186, words on 2019’s novel. While I thought I was going to pick up A.U. (now titled Counterfactual), instead I’ve decided to work on a total chick lit/rom com book, with the working title, 20 Year Reunion.
- 1, massive flu that refuses to die. That will teach me for not getting the flu shot.
- 1, agency I (think?) I’ve signed with. Yes, we discussed Persian translations of my work…
- 1, school visit I have scheduled for next week, in conjunction with EAFOL.
- 2, podcasts I’ve recorded for an upcoming 2019 project.
- 0, dirhams we managed to negotiate from our jerk landlord of this year’s rent.
- 2, collaboration dinners I’ll be attending in the next week.
- 1, deprivation tank I soaked in.
- 0, travel plans for the year so far… Signs are pointing to Seychelles and Zanzibar.
- 1, article placed with Curiosity Magazine (let’s hope it actually gets printed).
Hope your February is off to a great start!
Coming down to the end of 2019, and a few last numbers to report.
- 76,859, draft 1.5 of Under the Rain of Light is rocking in at. Given I want to toss a few chapters, and write a few more, I still think 80K is a realistic place for the second draft (i.e. the one I want people to read).
- 1,000, conservative guess of how many times I used the word ‘just’ in this draft. One of my ‘clean up activities’ is going through a manuscript and seeking out words I use too often, or are weak. Cut to me cringing when I see ‘just’ 4 times on one page.
- 50, minutes, my current average daily amount of time on Instagram. I am sad.
- 3 hours, 25 minutes, my average daily screen time on my phone. That’s another number I’d really like to change next year.
- 8,178, steps, on average for December. Can you tell we started fostering a dog this month? And I don’t always bring my phone with me on our walkies, so the number could be higher.
- Too much, (TMI), blood. The former owners of Phoebe the foster pup never had her fixed, and the littlest dachshund went on heat last week. If you’ve ever experienced this particular moment in nature, my best to you. We’re hoping it’s over soon.
- 1, pair of designer Italian shoes chewed up by Phoebe (my fault entirely for leaving them out).
- 1, pair of designer shoes found at a great price today on consignment.
- 1, house party we’ll be attending this evening.
- 2, seasons of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel we binged over the holidays.
- ALL, the pasta we’re making as our contribution to said house party.
- ALL, the food I’m seem to be eating recently as part of A to Za’atar.
- 0, trips currently planned for 2019.
Overall, 2018 delivered some interesting elements, and I’m cautiously optimistic to see what 2019 will be like.
Whatcha been up to? I got my holiday shop on today and knocked off most of my list (for other people, poor Hubs). Other than that, we’re helping prep for our friend’s giant party tomorrow, then a festive brunch on Sunday.
- 73,648, words, current length of the Louvre project. Of course, I think I’m going to need to pull a nuclear option and do some major rewriting once I get to the end of this draft, so… I have no idea what that means for my current word count.
- 40%, off, my dream shoes. I’ve literally had my eye on these Gianvito Rossi’s for OVER A YEAR, and today BOOM they were on sale and in my size. I may or may not have done a happy dance in Bloomingdales.
- 1, giant leg of lamb I have in the fridge. Being a food blogger has some very strange perks. Don’t worry, we’re cooking it for our friends big festive blow out tomorrow.
- 1, video celebrating the start of EAFOL, of which I’m involve in for the first time next year!
- 1, paperback version of The Queen of England: Coronation, now available!
- 12+ million, views, I have on my photos on Google Maps.
- 43, minutes I averaged on Instagram last week – yay for bringing numbers down!
- 5, mid-to-terrible movies, Hubs and I have watched as part of our Christmas spirit initiative.
- 6, episodes, of The Great British Baking Show watched. It’s the ultimate in soothing programming.
- 4, episodes, of Fake or Fortune watched. As research for the Louvre manuscript, this show has been absolutely wonderful! I’m trying to download other seasons now.
What are you doing this weekend?
Just thought I’d share a few of my spending habits with you… I’m pretty sure it’s in my blood, but I love a discount. Give me a coupon and I’m there. So, this time of year is always exciting for me. Given I recently discovered Ebates (a cash back website, here’s the link in case you feel like saving some dosh), I’m just watching my numbers rise with every purchase.
Also, because I am a total dork (and was trying not to overspend), I made a list and really tried to stick to it.
So, what did I pick up?
- A new pack of business cards from Moo (30% off). Really, a sort of bland buy, but my ‘nice’ cards (I have two versions) rarely go on sale, so I scooped some up. Here’s my referral link, if you’re interested. My cards are always getting compliments, so I see no reason to change.
- Banana Republic. I was ready for a dress, but in the end, opted for a shirt (entire site was 50% off). Given I am in the middle of a purge of ‘I hate everything in my closet,’ it was time to pick up a few decent garments.
- Sephora. I keep wanting to ‘quit’ the site, but then I can’t. After a rather drunken conversation about skincare regimens with three very knowledgable women on the subject, I pulled the trigger on some Drunk Elephant (I pretty much only buy at this time of year).
- Amazon. Hubs wanted a 23 & Me kit, and they were on sale. Done. (And hey, if you’re on Amazon, you can add or review any of my books, just saying).
- Express. I saw a shirt I liked, and then a dress. 40% off (I ordered early and missed the 50% off, no big). Both have somehow already arrived, and I am very happy with both.
- Box of Style. I’m such a sucker for a good box of stuff. Ebates coupon + another coupon brought the price to something reasonable. It’s probably a good thing that PopSugar is now blocked (for whatever reason) in the UAE. I’m hoping the box is shipped soon!
- Flywheel. Classes aren’t cheap, so I’m booking as many as possible. 30% off.
- Wisestamp. I have a fun e-mail signature (necessary, I believe, especially when I pitch out a lot and want to rep myself in a professional manner). The site has some other items on their platform, and I’m curious to see if adding them will have any impact on my traffic. The savings were significant, but I’m also going to pull the plug if no magic happens in 30 days.
So close, but not quite:
- The Limited. Had a dress I liked, but didn’t love. 7/10 will probably regret not purchasing.
- Birchbox. Another site that was close, but not quite (a few of their limited edition boxes as well as regular beauty items).
- Tom’s. My old ones are, well, old. Given they were 30% off, I’m pretty sure this one is going to haunt me.
What did you nab in the sales? Anything fun?
A second week in a row?
It must be procrastination.
- 29, pages out of 210 pages. Actually, it’s more like page 70 of 210, but I’ve been moving stuff around. I’m still not sure if changing the chapters around is going to stick.
- 72,256, words. Let’s see what the week ahead holds. There’s a lot going on.
- 2, rather disappointing dining experiences I’ve had in the past week. both from places I’ve had wonderful meals at in the past — not sure what’s really going on.
- 16, courses, at a restaurant I had high expectations for — with excellent results!
- 8, PM, my bedtime on Thursday and Friday night this week.
- 5, AM, my ensuing wake up time the following morning — allows for LOTS of work to get done (no complaints here, except that it’s weirdly dark out).
- Some, progress I’ve made towards getting The Queen of England: Coronation ready for paperback. I thought I had it all arranged, but my cover still needs a bit of work (sad face).
- 1, Murder Mystery dinner I’m attending this week.
- 1, Google Local Guides sent out globally featuring my face (among two others).
- 2, perfect Christmas presents ordered for friends. Hubs and I literally high fived when we opened the package (misplaced for a day by Aramex).
- 1, ticket received for not wearing a seatbelt in Abu Dhabi (I wasn’t in Abu Dhabi this week).
- 1, ticket deleted from my record.
- 1, actual ticket for undefined reasons on MBZ from Sunday.
- 1, reading slump ended. Hallelujah.
- 1:09, average time per day I spend on Instagram. Please excuse me while I die a little. Really need to bring that number down!!
How was your week?
Once again, I live.
- 1, meeting with a local publishing professional. Leading to – maybe – some movement on some of my unpublished works. It’s why I will NOT be moving ahead to publish The Queen of England: Ascension, at the moment. And instead…
- 30, pages out of 206. Although I finally finished my red pen edit of Under the Rain of Light (what I consider the first draft) last week, I thought I would give it a break while I moved ahead with the Queen 3. Instead, I’m swapping them around and am full steam on the second draft of the Louvre heist. Whew, it’s in rough shape – so I’m guessing this will probably take me through the end of the year.
- 1, celebrity chef met this week (Simon Rimmer, what a lad).
- 4, pies, as part of the cooking class that I made. Vegetarian goats cheese and beetroot, if you’re wondering.
- 1, of 4 – other guest judges for the upcoming JLT dining awards. I’m super excited to be involved with this!
- 1, sort of pilot I’ll be filming next week.
- 2, days we had a short-term foster, Pepper, from K9 Friends last week.
- 1, steak he stole off my plate.
- 0, barking.
- 1, new book idea I came up with! They usually arrive once a year, so I’m glad that another manuscript has successfully arrived from the universe.
- 20, year high school reunion that took place last weekend in my hometown. You’ll imagine that the commute was a bit much for me (and that technically I was in town for the original dates, before it was moved and I was already out of the country). Am I upset to have missed the event? Not exactly. Would it have been fun? Definitely.
- 1, invitation to a property I’ve wanted to visit since we first moved here (Zighy Bay, a Six Senses resort). We’ll be there later this month – I can’t wait! (And no flights involved).
What have you been up to recently?