I cannot establish how much I’m infatuated with this book. The language, the fierceness, the unapologetic nature…
Anyway, are you here for the book club questions? I hope so! If you haven’t read Foul is Fair by Hannah Capin, yes there will be spoilers ahead, so I highly recommend you finish the book first. Spoiler alert: I read it in one sitting. (Buy it here, in care you’re looking).
- How do you feel about the inciting action taking place ‘off screen?’ Do you think it was an interesting choice by the narrator/author? Do you think it makes the event stronger to only occur in flashbacks and conversation?
- Violence is a key theme in the book. Do you think it’s overused or realistic in the context of what happened to the protagonist?
- Revenge at any cost. Do you agree? Do you think that the end justifies the means?
- Parental oversight is used sparingly in the book, as are the involvement of parents overall. Does this ring true for the novel, or is it a convienent plot point?
- Who is your favorite character? Why?
If you had to trade places with any character in the book, who would you choose and why?
- What made the setting unique or important? Could the story have taken place anywhere?
- How reliable is Jade/Elle as a narrator?
- Do you think this novel would be better adapted as a film or series? Any suggestions for a dream cast?
- The language in this book is unique. Do you have any favorite quotes?
- While there are many comparisons, describe at length the allusions and similarities to Macbeth. Do you feel the ‘modernization’ of Shakespeare’s tragedy works in the context of the novel?
- What do you think of representation/diveristy in the novel? How are the POC/non-binary characters portrayed?
- Who would you recommend this book to?
- This book is listed as Book #1, what do you think will happen in Book #2? Will there be another tragedy involved?
- Based on this novel, would you read other work by Ms. Capin?
Would love to hear your suggestions for other questions to accompany this amazing book. Please list them in the comments below!